How can i profile my code execution on the cloud

Per the subject: Suppose I migrate my code to the cloud and want a precise evaluation of run-time on a cloud VM. And I have in mind fairly granular. Any tips?

Monte Carlo profiling

I found this response on stack overflow: Actually a quote within a quote. It is both amusing and useful-sounding. In response to the question “How do I profile my code?”

The standard answer to this question is to use cProfile.

You’ll find though that without having your code separated out into methods that cProfile won’t give you particularly rich information. Instead, you might like to try what another poster here calls Monte Carlo Profiling. To quote from another answer:

If you’re in a hurry and you can manually interrupt your program under the debugger while it’s being subjectively slow, there’s a simple way to find performance problems.

Just halt it several times, and each time look at the call stack. If there is some code that is wasting some percentage of the time, 20% or 50% or whatever, that is the probability that you will catch it in the act on each sample. So that is roughly the percentage of samples on which you will see it. There is no educated guesswork required. If you do have a guess as to what the problem is, this will prove or disprove it.

You may have multiple performance problems of different sizes. If you clean out any one of them, the remaining ones will take a larger percentage, and be easier to spot, on subsequent passes.

Caveat: programmers tend to be skeptical of this technique unless they’ve used it themselves. They will say that profilers give you this information, but that is only true if they sample the entire call stack. Call graphs don’t give you the same information, because 1) they don’t summarize at the instruction level, and 2) they give confusing summaries in the presence of recursion. They will also say it only works on toy programs, when actually it works on any program, and i seems to work better on bigger programs, because they tend to have more problems to find.

It’s not orthodox, but I’ve used it very successfully in a project where profiling using cProfile was not giving me useful output.

The best thing about it is that this is dead easy to do in Python. Simply run your Python script in the
interpreter, press [Control-C], note the traceback and repeat a number of times.