How do I add Users to my #AWS account?

I have access to my Cloudbank AWS account. How do I add my team members?

Hi Rob;
We take it that you are asking as the Principal Investigator (PI) on an NSF-sponsored project. Our full reply is a bit long but it has some very key “Cloudbank framework” ideas so bear with us.

Short answer

First create a Cloudbank Portal user account for a person that you want to add. Then use the portal path from Dashboard > Manage Your Funds to select the account and add this person to the access list.

Longer Answer

Cloudbank cloud accounts are really “billing entities” tied to NSF grants. This is a little different than a non-managed situation where the research team lead (for example yourself as a PI) would be the cloud account root user. The idea in Cloudbank is to manage the account for you; so you don’t have to be that root user; which is a bit of a hassle. So: You as the PI are a User with administrator privileges. This means you can do just about anything on your account except delete it.

We request that you add team members using the Cloudbank portal rather than adding them through the cloud console. Login to the cloudbank console and select Dashboard > Manage Your Funds. Click on the appropriate listed Fund. This should show the billing account associated with AWS, the cloud account where you want to add Users. (AWS: Account; Azure: Subscription, Google Cloud: Project) This account number appears for AWS as a 12 digit account number that you click on.

This brings you to a People / Access page where you can add users. Click on the “Add a new person to this Billing Account” link. In order to select someone to add they must also have a Cloudbank account. There is a link to do that as well. So first make sure they have a Cloudbank account. Then add them through this procedure; and they should be able to get to work on AWS.